UK Bank and Insurance Customers Frustrated with Call Centre IVR Service
New research from has found consumers get most frustrated with their banks and insurance providers when communicating through the contact centre, affecting cross-selling and upselling opportunities and resulting in loss of customers.
The study asked a sample of UK consumers about their attitudes towards their banks and insurance providers. When asked how satisfied they were with the customer service received, specifically from the contact centre, 48 per cent claimed to be dissatisfied.
Worryingly for organisations, two thirds (66 per cent) of consumers considered moving to another insurance provider in the last 12 months, and over four in ten (43 per cent) considered changing banks. Of these, nearly half (42 per cent) actually did move to another insurer, but only 8 per cent moved their accounts to another bank.
The research also found that a third of people in the UK are unhappy with the customer service they receive as a whole from their banks and insurance providers.
Cross-selling and upselling to existing customers is a critical revenue stream for banks and insurers but the research demonstrates that these institutions are losing a high percentage of accounts and policies every year. A proportion of consumers are clearly getting frustrated with their financial services providers due to the quality of service they receive through the contact centre.
When the respondents were asked what bothers them the most with their insurance providers’ customer service, ‘call centre staff unable to perform necessary transactions,’ ‘do not return calls’ and ‘takes too long to answer the phone’ all came out on top – all issues which stem from, and can be resolved in the contact centre.
Consumers’ expectations for both their banks and their insurance providers is a high level of customer service, with a third (33 per cent) stating this factor above the range of products, security and varied channels of communication. The standard of customer service is also the highest influencing factor (28 per cent) for consumers when choosing a bank. Perhaps interestingly, this differs with insurance providers, where 46 per cent regard product specifications as the most important influencing factor when choosing a provider.
Other key findings:
• Consumers’ biggest bugbear with their banks is that security and authentication systems are too complicated or inconsistent, with 18 per cent stating this as an irritation
• Instant messaging (IM)/chat, SMS and social media are not considered by consumers to be main methods of communication yet, however 6 per cent of consumers expect to be able to connect with financial services providers through IM/chat, 7 per cent through SMS and 4 per cent through social media
• Consumers’ main method in which to connect with their bank is through online banking apps, with 77 per cent stating they use this method
• Consumers’ main method in which to connect with their insurance provider is via the telephone, with 45 per cent stating they use this method
• The most popular customer service improvement with banks is the introduction of a secure mobile app, with 18 per cent stating this improvement
• The most popular customer service improvement with insurance providers is the ability to sign documents digitally, with 20 per cent stating this improvement
• Consumers seek financial advice from specialist websites and online most frequently, rather than consulting an independent financial advisor or family/friends.
How PSS Can Help
Discover the benefits of our contact center solutions to impove contact center customer experience. If you would like more information about our solutions for IVR or would like to discuss how your organization can benefit from our center practice contact us for a FREE no obligation consultation by emailing us at email@example.com
Alternatively let us help you with our business wide ProPSS Assessment a planning service for organisations with Contact Center technologies that creates a strategic roadmap for your Contact Center applications and technologies. Contact Us Now To Book
Contact PSS (Product Support Solutions)Corporate Headquarters: 7172 Regional Street #431, Dublin, CA 94568 T: 925-208-2450 | 800-506-7119 | Fax: 888-455-2285 UK Headquarters:
The Old Saw Mill, Harvest Hill Lane, Coventry, CV5 9DD